Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day +100

Time has really flown by.  I am sad that I missed my whole entire summer, but grateful to be past some of the toughest times in my life.  I met with my doctors today after another work up of blood, urine and x-rays.  I have to admit the anticipation for this appointment has been a little unnerving.  I so want good news.  If I could pick just one thing, it would be that they would tell me that I do not need more chemo drugs and that I do not need a tandem transplant.  That is what I am hoping for.

What I got was half of what I wanted and for now that will have to do.  The good news is my cancer levels are below treatable levels.  I do not need more chemo drugs and I do not need a tandem transplant.  However, I went in with one type of cancer and came out with two types of cancer.  I have multiple myeloma with Lambda Light Chains.  In fact when my cancer was first detected I had about 7300 of these Lambda Light Chains.  That number has now been shrunk to 200.  However, it appears from my latest tests that I also have the Kappa Lights Chains.  According to my doctors they are not aware of another case where a patient had both chains at the same time.  It is possible that it could be an error with the test and the lab or a reaction to the transplant and the chemo drugs.  I will now have to have more blood tests, more urine tests, and a bone marrow biopsy which I was hoping to avoid. 

My family is convinced it is an error and that with the repeated blood work, the results will be corrected. I agree, but still can a girl get a break???  Even if I really do have both Lambda and Kappa, the treatment is still the same and I will still not have to have the tandem transplant.  I may however have to take a low dose of Thalidamide or Revlimid. (Chemo Drugs).  The doctors say it would be a lower dose than I was taking before. 

I really am pleased with these results and thankful for the doctors, all of their hard work and for everyone who has loved and supported me through all this.   

A while back I received a gift from a friend.  This gift really paints a good picture of how I feel about right now.  I failed to post about this gift as I have gotten lazy with my blog updates.  It was much easier when I was sitting in the hospital with no place to really move.  Anyways, this gift a Purple Water Bottle and A Pink Shirt that says "Cancer Sucks" really says it all.  Thank you Nannette for this gift.  I hope Raegen is doing well and that your trip to Disney World is the best trip ever with lots of fun memories.  Reading about how well she does for her cancer at such a young age is inspiring.   Thank you again.

2 comments:

Adri said...

This post brought tears streaking. You did get good news with a little not so good news. Take a little bad with a lot of good. What made me cry is the part of the post where two people who don't know each other come together in the hardest times of their lives. I know both you and Nanette very well. I love both families like they were my own. I hate to see what you both have to go through. I just want you to know that I love your whole family and I would have to agree, CANCER SUCKS!

smithblog said...

You are so most certainly welcome - we know that CANCER SUCKS! Without a doubt. I love reading your blog and seeing your strength come through. Keep your chin up and keep on fighting!!!